Sunday, January 4, 2009

Yes, I Can be Wrong

It’s 4:21 PM and I am still sleeping. I know it’s a Sunday and I am supposed to relax but the reason is a little different today. Last night, I was reading a book and slept at 05:00 AM today morning. Not a usual thing for me. Neither had I read book in last six months nor did I wake up so late everyday. What was so special then?

One of my close friend suggested me (rather forced me) to read a book ‘A Walk to Remember’. Trust me, until now I have used a book only for the purpose to get a good night sleep. It works for me better than sleeping pills. Three to four pages are enough to leave me snoring. I started reading the book and in five days I completed ten pages. That’s me! Then, I do not what happened last night. Sometimes it is a do or die situation in your life and I believe in doing (only if the second option is dying). I started reading the book around 2:00 AM and finished the books in flat three hours. That’s also me! It’s a record, though personal one. And these three hours included time when I cried several times, felt the emotions, and also remembered someone special in my life. I don’t know why I did it but may be “God had a plan for me”. This was a beautiful love story. Not a very unique in every sense—in a way, a lot of other stories and movies had left me more touched and made me shed bucket of tears—but still I would call this one really beautiful.

Hope you are not wondering, why this topic is named ‘Yes I Can be Wrong’, when till now you haven’t read that I murdered someone by mistake. Seems like a Govinda movie when you can expect an item number just after the mourning. Let’s find a connection. When I woke up in the afternoon—after reading this book—I was thinking how short life could be? How much time we have to say sorry for our mistakes? When is the last time I said sorry to my mom for I shouted at her and the mistake was mine?

I think myself as a perfectionist. I never make mistakes and what I believe is universal truth. I name this as self-respect. Later on, I realized it was only ego. Let me share you an incident, which made me realize a few truths about myself. It was my college days and I went to see my doctor—with my parents—as I was not doing well. While returning back, we dropped in to Chandni Chowk, a marketplace for electrical goods. I asked for some screw needed to fit the tube light holder. The shopkeeper showed some and my mom suggested that we have these at home. I overlooked. She said again that she is sure that we have those and there is absolutely no need to buy more. I felt someone attacking my self-respect. Remember, I am a perfectionist who can never get wrong. In the front of the shop I started shouting at her. She felt insulted and miserable. As if this was not enough, I asked the shopkeeper to give me some of those screws and ignore whatever my mom had to say. What a moron I was. She was almost on the verge of crying. My dad was a silent spectator as he was not sure who is right. We returned home without talking on the way. After ten minutes, my mom came with those screws and I was dead. I was in shock, not on my behavior but because I was proved wrong. How can I be ever wrong? I didn’t have enough guts to say sorry even once for what I had done. Now, I wish I had done it. How relaxed she would have felt. But why would I say that? What will happen to my so called self-respect? Today, I have realized that it was only ego and I was totally wrong in my behavior. I am ready to say sorry and ask for forgiveness a million times for all my mistakes. Still my mistakes will outnumber this figure. I learned I can be wrong, I learned no one is perfect all the time, I learned that to hurt someone close to your heart will be painful for your whole life. Now, I accept my fault and ask for forgiveness.

Sorry mom I have hurt you many times, Sorry to all my friends, colleagues and also sorry to a lot of people I do not know but have hurt them knowing or unknowingly. Who knows, I would not get a second chance to say all this. May be my ego will again overpower me and I feel like deleting this post.

11 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the first post. Forgiveness is an issue that's tough to resolve. Sometimes we say sorry only to repeat our mistakes. Sometimes we say sorry and we don't mean to change ourselves with that sorry. Sometimes we make a fool of ourselves. The other person never considered it an offense. Anyways, I loved this post. It's honest to the core. That's all that matters sometimes. Thanks for sharing. It helped me see a few things about myself that I needed to see and change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps you were right, the godown is certainly gonna be more rich than the showroom. Never knew this side of yours. I was reading the post with some soft instrumental music playing in the background and believe me each of your word seemed to come alive to its rhythm. I am touched and overwhelmed no ends bound. Waiting for another “Pratibimb” to be cast soon which can further take me to the godowns deep under :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jao dost....maaf kiya! It was great to read your first blog.... looking forward to your next one. This one showed a very emotional side of yours. Hopefully, the next one will show the stoic masculine side (that I know the best!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey RR, nice to know your this side yaar. We face this kind of situation many a times in our life and unknowingly we hurt our near n dear ones, I think it is mainly because we take them for granted. You won’t believe, your post made me emotional. I hope u know why… anyway.
    Let me tell you one truth, I was in big misunderstanding that no one knows you better than me but your Pratibimb proved me wrong. Waiting for you next Pratibimb, to know more about you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well well a great one or should I say a touching one.People say that since god could not be there everywhere he left angels around to guard us. And I believe Rajiv is one of those angels and his first post was definitely an angelic one. Forgiveness the most elusive one even though we were forgiven we make mistakes again. Hope I learn something from his blog and improvise it in my life. Waiting desperately for your next reflection which will help me in reflecting my own life....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for apologizing, I know I deserved this :-P. Dude it is because you can shout at people and take liberties with them that they are called family and friends, otherwise they will be somebody and in the worst case nobody. Anyway if this is a attempt at impressing some beautiful creations of god, I tell you my friend, it is one hell of an attempt ;).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too many surprises Rajiv..I congratulate you for your writing skills...and before I could comment further on this blog...I personally wanna read that book...'A Walk to Remember’. I'll definitely do that..but at present I can only say that...in our lives we atleast have the hope to seek forgiveness from those who are alive...and close to us...but it wud hve been great if I cud extend my apologies to those who were once a part of my life..but do not exist in this superficial world anymore. Your blog really made me think of my limitations....thanks for making me realise.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I know who suggested that book. Is it N? Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Shouting at your loved ones....I did that myself too. Felt miserable later but somewhere we all forget that even our parents can't understand us completely. All they do is love us unconditionally. Just like your blog title, every individual is a reflection of thyself which at times get blurred too.
    Good going my friend. Will check this link often to know more about you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. such an intense posting, I have felt this so many times, but don't think I could have ever expressed this as nicely as you would have done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is always better to speak than keep it inside. I hope you do it this time.

    ReplyDelete